Wednesday, August 27, 2008

V is for Velvet!

Velvet, once reserved for Christmas dinner dresses and theatre upholstery, has become a chic staple that is as versatile as it is luxurious! CC has always been a fan of this sumptuous fabric, and she sensed it was going to be hot for fall upon seeing the runways, where velvet took the form of tops, jackets, pants, suits, dresses, and accessories! CC's suspicions about the power of plush were confirmed when velvet made the September cover of Vogue!!
The runway version of the blue Balenciaga top worn by Kiera Knightly is pictured above, courtesy nymag.com.
At top of post: Nina Ricci’s backless orange velvet gown, featured in an intense and brooding fall ad campaign.
Nina Ricci wasn’t the only designer to send such a frock down the runway

At left: Ralph Lauren offered a similar shape in a brighter hue.

Marc Jacobs’ take on the floor length velvet gown?
Ice blue . . .
This photo and previous via style.com.
At Roberto Cavalli, it was hunter green;
this picture courtesy nymag.com.
Debora Sinibaldi
abbreviated acid green velvet frock with tulle underlay,
via Italian Vogue
Ralph Lauren green velvet party dress,
via style.com
Giuliana Burrascano velvet jacket,
via Italian Vogue
Derek Lam velvet detail blouse,
via style.com
Peter Jensen
velvet bustier, via French Vogue
Ruffian
floor length coat, via nymag.com
Ralph Lauren strapless plaid gown with velvet hem detail.
Photo courtesy style.com
Gucci,
via nymag.com
Hermés,
courtesy style.com
Philosophy dresses,
via nymag.com
CC loves the luxurious layering!
Benjamin Cho dress, via style.com
Jean Paul Gaultier Couture;

this and next three photos via style.com

A lovely velvet accent may be all you need to up your chic factor for autumn!

At right:
Anna Sui velvet flower necklace
Christian Lacroix Couture bow
Lacroix ribbon

Note that this is a wonderful DIY...
Add a velvet sash to any outfit for an instant and affordable dose of chic!
WHAT TO BUY:
Velvet trouers are the ultimate in luxury!
At right:
Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti velvet pants,
at net-a-porter.com
For advanced fashionistas...
Above left:
Gucci red velvet pants

At right:

Bamford velvet smoking jacket, at net-a-porter.com

CC loves a velvet blazer, in black, gray, olive, navy . . .
Or cherry red!

J. Crew velvet École jacket; comes in 6 colors at jcrew.com
Derek Lam velvet dress,

at Neiman Marcus... very boho luxe ~
Etro velvet trim dress,

at Bergdorf Goodman
Peter Som watercolor print dress with banded velvet waist,

at saksfifthavenue.com
Derek Lam

velvet frill trim frock,
at net-a-porter.com
Risto Bimbiloski dress,

at inhabit.com
3.1 Philip Lim pleated purple velvet skirt,

currently 40 percent off at net-a-porter.com!
Anna Sui velvet lame skirt,

also at net-a-porter.com
VELVET ACCESSORIES
Manolo Blahnik Butterflopt Cutout d’Orsay. Visit bergdorfgoodman.com
Givenchy olive velvet peep toe...



What a snazzy alternative to the boring black pump!


Go to couturezappos.com
Stella McCartney velvet pump;

photo courtesy elle.com

The spiky lucite stiletto heel makes these shoes even more stunning!
VBH Manilla velvet clutch; this and next at Net-a-Porter.com
Stella McCartney velvet clutch
Anke Dreschsel velvet shoulder bag, at neimanmarcus.com


This devastatingly luxe weekender also comes in pink!
(Fabric detail below left)

Remember, darlings:
Velvet is not just for evening, special occasion and holiday anymore!
Add a sultry velvet piece to your wardrobe and see how people will make any excuse to touch it!!

42 comments:

Siljesfashion said...

Oh I love velvet! Not only is it such a wonderful material, its easy to dress up and down if you choose the right piece. The Gucci collection is one of my faves. I have a velvet jacket, but I am sensing a need for a new piece very soon.. Thank you for your wonderful comments!

Blicious said...

oh how i love your long posts! i want a velvet clutch! :)

LucyinStLou said...

Loooove the Derek Lam.

..... said...

balenciaga is hot !! those long well documented posts are so cool

Sharon S said...

Hi there-Yaay! I'm soo pleased I got my velvet jacket a couple of weeks ago, this will definitely be out in Autumn! Lovely picks as usual-I love the weekender bag-this is soo sumptious and covetable!!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Mmmm...velvety decadence.

leeselooks said...

natasha poly is INSANE. that ed is out of this world.

I love the feel of Velvet but have yet to find anything that I love in recent years ( I use to rock it in the 80's with all my dance costumes...good memories). Hopefully it will cross my path sometime soon.

Mónica said...

I love that pair of Manolos!

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

Gucci and Hermes are LOVE.
I have a lot of love for velvet in the wintertime - not only is it superchic, it's warm too!
Great compliation of looks CC!

Elizabeth said...

I'd love to drape myself in velvet.

Just kidding.

I love it, but I haven't had much of it. Maybe it's time.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i'm very anti-velvet typically, but i do love that smokey-colored blazer.

Anonymous said...

i really like the suit trousers at the beginning of the article!and all these clutch.. wow!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

o la la ...I love velvet and love the ways that Gucci used it.Personally,I only own a velvet blazer, but I love how much drama it gives to an outfit :)

Siru said...

On your last post the "Belle" is me, i have too many emails.

Did you know that velvet is also a great band?

juliet xxx

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

the first pic is wonderful and i really like the ralph lauren ballerina dress :)

Anonymous said...

That green one with a little tutu on the bottom is fantastic.

Lisa said...

One of my friends has a velvet blazer from a few seasons back that still looks au courant. Very nice.

Estibalitz Diaz de Durana Arias said...

Muchas gracias por tus visitas !
es un honor que me incluyas en esta lista tan especial ! me siento
muy alagada!
Me ayuda !! gracias de nuevo
un abrazo
Esti

Fashion_Girl22 said...

Love the way velvet has been done in these past seasons. My favorite velvet piece was that srak green dress that Ai wore in Roberto Cavalli Fall 2006

Little Bow Prep said...

The bright orange is so eye-catching! I'm a huge fan of the green RL dress, the J. Crew blazer; and the heels are awesome!

Anonymous said...

i didn't know the brand Philosophy, but i love the velvet look you presented !

Missa said...

I'm totally loving the velvet in theses new fall colors! Those Philosophy dresses are heavenly!

Anonymous said...

i like velvet. but, i never know how to wear it. i have a knee length black velvet skirt that i want to wear realy badly but i don't know whwat to wear with it! =/

Da Fashionista said...

i have a velvet theory military blazer that i live in during the winter. would love to get a rich berry colored one too. or maybe a dark navy one. YUM!

Jal said...

I can only handle velvet in small doses! Accessories.

-and to answer your question, the leggings in my pic are called Yellow Fever and are from Costume Dept.

http://www.costumedept.com

WendyB said...

The orange gown is luscious.

shopinchic said...

Velvet is a must-have for the fall!
And I am so loving the Gucci red pants and Anna Sui skirt!

Anonymous said...

great post! i love the black heels - son fabuloso!! check out my blog --> http://cupofstyle.wordpress.com -danielle

Guapóloga said...

Oh Velvet! I love that fabric in both men and women. The orange dress is great, do you have some pictures of men wearing it? I'm a fan but, actually, is a really hard-to-wear-right fabric, don't you think?

All the best!

Tom

Sienna said...

I'm a little skeptical about velvet.. but I love these pics..especially the Gucci!

Dana (MODAna) said...

you know those shudders some ppl get from running nails on a chalk board?
well thats how i feel when touching velvet. so though it looks nice sometimes, I simply cant overcome this to wear it.
Inspirational post, though!

Debbie Shiamay said...

YAY FOR VELVET. This post is so awesome!!! I love the photos!

Aliena said...

Loved the post and the pictures, so luxurious!!!!

pocketz♥full♥of♥posiez said...

if i want to become a model i really do have to finish school i don't want to be a ditz :)

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

makes me regret throwing out my tailor maid velvet suit...but it was 12 years old and it wasn't likely that it's be going to any high school formals (read prom) every again.

Lil Midget said...

I think velvet is a material with a very classic look. Reminds me of old English times and vampires for some reason.. Not to mention suitable for cold weather! Love it!

Songy said...

velvet - interestingly enough it's easy to wear it although it's not easy to buy it. I could easily dress up and dress down (just pair with jeans for example).. one think I really regret is that I didn't pick up a full length coat when I could have done in Hong Kong at Shanghai Tang.. as I said.. it's not easy to buy...I can't really get that kind of stuff here. tragic.

revel in me said...

MMm, I feel like wearing this cute velvet top I thrifted recently RIGHT NOW! :P

Amy C said...

I love the Philosophy dress everything she does is beautiful.
Keep me posted on the bunny.

Tricia said...

i'm kind of torn about velvet, because it can be so bad, but here of course are great velvet pieces! the runway Balenciaga looks great, and I love the deep red velvet pants.

Marian said...

Velvet always makes me feel festive!It is such a great way of adding some glamour and luxury to even the mundane of outfits.The Anke Dreschsel weekender is so gorge it is insane! Carrie I want it so bad now! That hunter green dress is decadent no?! Think it'd look terrific on a raging red head like say Lily cole or Karen Elson.Carrie your posts are so...divine!You pick the most luxurious pieces! love it.
kisses dear,Marian.

Seeker said...

Oh, I like velvet.
And a velvet blazer is something that I heart.
Now I regret to have given a black velvet blazer I had...

xoxo