Monday, November 10, 2008

DECO(ado)ration!

From couture to candles, deco is all the rage! Originally a reaction against the swirls and tendrils of Art Nouveau, Art Deco has become dear to designers for its elegant lines and and captivating geometric patterns.
At right: A dizzying hallway in full Art Deco splendor, courtesy Domino Magazine.
Runway love, via nymag.com except where noted.
At left: Doo Ri
D&G
Proenza Schouler (at right)

Talbot Runhof
Roberto Cavalli tank and necklace; detail photos courtesy style.com.
Rachel Pally lace print jersey dress (right).
Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent scallop strapless dress (left). Both at shopbop.com.
Tibi deco poppy dress, currently on sale at pinkmascara.com.
Diesel Black Gold Pasquy silk georgette dress (at right). Go to storedeisel.com to buy.
This Temperley London Mini Fire dress perfectly encapsulates the Art Deco trend! Visit net-a-porter.com to purchase.
J. Crew Italian Deco tank, at jcrew.com.
Rozae Nichols top (at right), via luckybreaksonline.com. Gorgeous!
Madison Marcus purple and black zig-zag pattern Cosmic top, at shopbop.com.
Mint Jodi Arnold embellished tank. Go to net-a-porter.com.
Foley & Corrina sequin Tennis top, on sale at shopbop.com.
Deco-esque eyebrow appliqués in Teen Vogue.
Accessories go art-y:

Runway Inspiration: Missoni
Martin & Osa window print silk scarf, $49.50 at martinandosa.com.
R & Y Augousti Minaudiére clutch, at Barneys New York.
Tory Burch Mandy lamé clutch with diamond jacquard pattern, at shopbop.com.
A geometrically patterned Leiber bag from a current exhibit at the New Britain Museum of Art in Connecticut.
Angel Jackson Rainbow Snake bag, at asos.com.
Arden B. diamond pattern stretch belt. Visit ardenb.com.
Pour la Victoire Bianca platform bootie, at shopbop.com. CC adores these geometricized cutouts!
Oh Deer! Ginger pump. Visit ohdeershoes.com.
Irregular Choice Rainbow's End shoes, pictured at right and avaialable at irregularchoicestore.co.uk. Elfin chic!
House of Harlow (yes, Nicole Ritchie’s line) bangle. Go to shopkitson.com.
For the home:
Claus Porto candle at conranusa.com.
Deal of the Day: Ibiza Wine Glasses, $3.95 each at cb2.com.

What's your opinion, darling: deco-rific or no?

49 comments:

MakeupByRenRen said...

whoa i've never seen eyebrow appliques before, lol..but that gives me inspiration for a photoshoot!

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

One of the vintage dresses I picked up this weekend looks very much like that Temperley one - I love this trend, art deco in general is just wonderful.

Seeker said...

That Minaudiére clutch is gorgeous!
I do like Art Deco.
Great pictures CC.
Thank you.

xoxo

WendyB said...

Love the Temperley. And those shoes!

Fashion Moment said...

Great post!
I like Rozae Nichols Deco Top, it's must-have!
Great idea CC!

FM

Tricia said...

i like the first four best, so elegant in silver! but i'm a big fan of the Chrysler building.

Jess said...

I'm quite liking this look! Espec. on the mugs and accessories. not sure about the deco eyebrows though.
I'm sure I've seen and questioned them before somewhere!

MISS GLITZY said...

I like the last shoe, the pattern and the shape are quite interesting.

Ella Gregory said...

I love the Proenza Schouler dress! It is so pretty.

FASHION CHALET said...

Thanks, Couture Carrie. I had fun on Halloween in that costume (profile pic) so I had to make it a profile photo. :) Thanks for commenting on my latest outfit and heels (and tassled bag!)

I love Art deco, especially with clothing and shoes. :)

Natacha said...

I love all the dresses!

Siru said...

Those bags are fantastic!

juliet xxx

Hunters Glory said...

love the choi red balck shoe!

your blog is greatness cc!

Jill said...

Very nice! I particularly like the longer dresses and the first two shoes.

DUSKIN said...

your blog is great, too! thanks for reading mine! x

Marquis de Lannes said...

Super les longues robes un peu psicodeliques! ça me plait!

Nemerae said...

Great post!! I loved the ones about make up and 3-D too *.*
I like all the dresses, specially these ones by Doo Ri and Proenza Schoulder.
Byee
xx

Anonymous said...

I love it

Lisa said...

I love Art Deco. Every time I think art deco, my mind jumps to the Chrysler building in NYC all lit up at night and I wish for Jay McCarroll's Chrysler building-inspired dress from season 1 of Project Runway.

Jadore-Fashion said...

love the rachel pally maxi, in fact i love it all--hard to choose! those clutches are on FIRE!!!

thanks for the wishes and comment!!!

xoxo
Stella

Angela said...

tory burch clutch is quite savvy.

Vintage Lollipops said...

I love it... especially the Roberto Cavalli tank and necklace!!!

This definitely makes me want to integrate some pieces into my wardrobe!!!

Marian said...

Some of those designs left me gasping for air! they were gorge i tell you CC!ART DECO is major at the mo'. The floor length gowns are simple amazing.Its so cool how its been translated even unto homeware and fashion accessories.Love those cut out booties with a passion!hope you are well CC.
kisses!
Marian

La Belette Rouge said...

Before your post I would have said 'heck no to Deco', you changed my mind---your good like that.;-)

Danz said...

Oh, I love this post CC! As a graphic designer, I'm always immediately attracted to bold lines and shapes and that is also the case when it comes to fashion.

The 3rd and 4th dresses from the runway are stunning!

All these Art Deco inspired jewelry pieces and embellishments look very DIY-able! I think I'll save these pics for future projects!

Also, I remember seeing Michelle Obama in that j. crew italian deco tank to an interview with Jay Leno recently. I love that she orders her own clothes from affordable stores.

Have a great day tomorrow dear :)

Unknown said...

great patterns!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I like! That blue scarf is especially gorgeous!

Pau(Rox) said...

Bueno , todos tus post son increibles, de éste me quedo con el bolso de Tory Burch.
XXX

Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

i tagged you! :)

Anonymous said...

oh i love that first dress!

& i just did a new post only a few minutes ago with that cut out bootie in white! :) great minds think alike, non? hahaha

xoxo,
La C

Miranda said...

love the toryburch :)

Claire Geist said...

Art Deco indeed!!!


I love how everything has become very much as if it was laid out like tiles

gorgeous,gorgeous all around!

simplysteph said...

wow the eyebrows are so extreme, but it is a good look. you know what else is extreme? crystal appliques for lips. yes random add in.

{Tara} said...

I cannot express how much I love this post!! Love that black and white hallway. Art Deco is my favorite!!!

Dru!!! said...

thanks! your update layouts are impressive! i would lose my train of thought before even attempting that

Songy said...

rainbow's end? what a romantic name.
These are some delicious things today, CC. I'm admiring small clutches you've found. Just have to have a lot of occasions to use!

sarah said...

oh wow thankyou lovely, ive added you to my blog role also and i just put up a new post x

arual said...

Los vestidos largos de las fotos son preciosos, me quedo con todos.
Un saludo

Lil Midget said...

Prints are definitely in for the season. I love them on shoes :D

x

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

i love the shoes CC! thanks for the sweet comment you left in my blog btw. :D

Anonymous said...

I say deco-rific it <3<33<3! Thank U so much for the add to Ur list ^__^ U made my day!

agnes said...

you always have such a good eye in spotting these thing out. i really adore the Doo Ri dress.

Syed said...

The candles look divine! I've always loved when European designers do Art Deco, it looks wonderful and has such history behind it!

Paul Pincus said...

one of your best!

this was great fun : )

extraordinary proenza schouler!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool.
Great pictures.

jaleh behtash said...

ooo these are all such excellent pictures. i love the proenza schouler dress especially

your whole blog is wonderful!

kokostiletto said...

i've been eyeing those oh deer ginger pumps for so long!

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

aaahhh, the clutch is soooo pretty!!! :)

Product Junkie Diva said...

I need to start sewing again so that I can come up with my own crazy creations..love this.
thanks
PJD